... the road to July!

11 April, 2005

US Placement Blues

Here goes a brief memorial description about a wonderful skit that I was an integrated part of during VIPANCHIKA ’04 – An inter branch Arts festival at CUSAT campus.

It was about 12 hours delay with the skits presentation on stage when the show began at around 12:00 midnight; I personally found the then ambiance much better than had the skits been presented all through noon. Thanks to CUBSA members for that delay although it did cause us heaps of trouble. And I can’t forget the pressure piling on to our heads by the evening with our non-stop practice which gave exhaustion a room to play with our physical limits.

It was around 10 p.m. when we daringly raised ourselves to the Open Auditorium-Main Stage but now it was the turn of God’s own country to mess up with our daring spirits, and the heavy rain followed us to cover the whole stage before we could actually make any arrangements for ourselves. Hmmm. We really had nothing but to keep patience for the right time to come for ourselves.

With the third slot for our chest number, there again came a moment when the whole arrangements were been shifted to the SMS Auditorium – tightly packed with about 400 students not letting even the fresh air to find a room to enter. Whole of my team decided to wait outside & avoid seeing any prior performances coz that could actually hamper the individual performances, since every great artist in my team was on a debut to this great world of acting. But still with the news “flowing in” through the IT organizers, revealed that the prior performances weren’t on par even with our practice which they had already seen.

Soon we were behind the curtains making arrangements within those 300 seconds that were allotted to every skit with a bit of partiality to the first team. I still remember those energies emanating from within with the excitement of curtain which rose up to let everybody ooze out their energies in every possible manner they knew. Females in our skit were indeed sensational with their outfits, which did serve towards the craving spirits of the crowd. It was amazing to see the crowds calming down right from the third scene and really concentrating on the dialogues, I couldn’t believe at least form the drunken community to be such patient.

One thing that I can’t truly forget is the confusion I created behind stage about a scene which I’d already performed and forgetting completely as to whether I really performed it on stage or during the practice.


(Me & Sethu - A scene depicting Indian secretary interacting with her Boss)

There indeed were a lot of acknowledgements, praising and morale boosting talks which had made certainly our minds for not settling up on to anywhere less than the first prize. Anyway, with lots of hopes we stood outside the hall, when a person just came running towards us with a blasting message that we have won the competition. Nothing but smiles circulated on everyone’s face with a few exceptions where smiles were packed with lots of thunderous voices even In fact it was by a very heavy margin that we left our opponents behind, on a scale of 10 we were close to 8 and just first runner up team had score around 5.5 and score dipping down further with the second runner up team.


(From Left - Me, Babil, Rachit, Mahima, Ashwain, Rini, Annley, Sehtu, Rakhi, Lainu Celebrating the victory)
For the detailed script Click here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...where do I start from..that I too was a part of this great team,that we all went through the grind(i.e; a 12 hr delay which was spent rehearsing and re-rehearsing the skit),or maybe the fact that I was a bit reluctant and apprehensive initially.Afterall the narrator's role is not something that I fancied,but somehow Piyush convinced me..and man...! I really am thankful to him.Not just because we won,but also because I got to be friends with all these wonderful people.It truly was a wonderful experience and credits to Piyush for documenting it.The part that I enjoyed most was that interview scene where I had to give the voice over for Lainu's all twisted expressions(I wannaaa pee!!!).Lainu was absolutely brilliant what with his rap and funky dos...he really had the audience in splits.
Well the last word..Piyush....it was me whom u kept hankering about the scene you thought you had missed..("when is my next scene..have we done that scene...??")..but even that was fun.Three cheers for team I.T.!!!