... the road to July!

25 May, 2007

Bish & John - World around in 2k dollars

Last weekend I hosted two crazy cycle paddlers on a mission of world tour from England; Bish & John at my small flat in Lillehammer.

They will be cycling from Newcastle to Norway, across Scandinavia to Russia, china, cross Pacific to Alaska, to Coasts of America to Venezuela and then back home.

Wow! It was quite a nice time talking to both of them about array of things compressed in that small evening we spent together. Innocent, simple and very interesting guys who allowed me to spend one of the finest evenings here in Lillehammer.

All that bridged us together is this project called couchfurfing & their live blog. It made sense to me to host these guys, however, I did not reason out much and was still apprehensive, owing to the fact that it was my first such hosting experience that too on a foreign land.

It was just saturday they contacted me and Sunday I was on streets to pick them up to my place & started to know each other better with the talks.

After quite a lot of talks, we jumped onto cooking, they cooked Pasta for themselves quite fast enough, which we all enjoyed together. It was a interesting to see the collection of their cutleries they carried along with them like Japanese folding plates, small forks and a box containing special accessories.

I remember the number of times they uttered 'Thank you so much' which actually started making me feel embarrassed eventually. But then later I realized how much does it matter to find a sleep on bed inside home for someone on tour for 18 months out of home and just roaming around, fiddling with the zig-zag lines on the atlas, requesting everywhere around to find even the smallest of the information.

While reading their latest entry Petrol Couches & Hills, I found out that they too experienced hosting to be good as well. As they mention something about it at the end of the blog, I take this as a testimonial for finding such experiences further.

If the world is flat, are we more than a dot on this landscape?

However, there are many projects today who aim to connect these dots but personally the one that caught up my attention is couchsurfing.com. Couchsurfing, seems to be one of the 'great' projects to make the world a smaller place in reality. It is yet again a social networking concept but with a great difference than a smaller.

This coming weekend I shall be hosting a group of two ladies hitchhiking from Stokholm to Oslo. I'm actually quite game about it. How simpler it seems to meet like minds now!

No comments: